GROWING WITH OUR COMMUNITY
A BRIEF HISTORY
Our library is a wonderful place, loved by many residents. Unfortunately, we have outgrown the space we have inhabited since 1940. Several of our programs, such as the annual Doll Tea and the annual exhibition of photos from local photographers pictured below, and many of the summer workshops must be held off-site to accommodate all the participants. We need more room for children’s activities, book clubs, craft events, tutoring and homework help, as well as computers.
RENOVATION AND RELOCATION PROJECT
Our previous building was only 660 square ft and was not handicapped accessible. The small size forced us to rent/borrow space for larger activities. No off-street parking was available. We moved into our new building at 1036 Kinderhook Street on January 12, 2016. With approximately 2/3 of our renovation project complete, we wanted to update the progress we have made, thank all who have so generously helped us to date and share what still needs to be done.
PHASE ONE – Completed
- Purchase Kinderhook St. building ($125,000)
- Design phase ($20,000)
- TOTAL COST – $145,000
PHASE TWO- Completed
- Renovate first portion of building, estimated 900 sq feet including roof repairs, furnace and foundation repair. Building is now completely handicapped accessible. Move into Kinderhook St building.
- Remove dilapidated shed from grounds.
- Sell the Church Street building.
- TOTAL COST – $20,000
PHASE THREE- In process
- Raise funds for additional renovation
- Continue to submit grant applications
- Plan to launch public capital campaign
- Estimates to finish
- Pave driveway -estimated $12,000
- Replace roof – estimated $12,000
- Replace HVAC system – estimated $12,000
- Remodel remaining portion of building – estimated $20,000
- Flooring throughout – estimated $4,000
TOTAL COST REMAINING – $60,000
TOTAL COST OF PURCHASE AND RENOVATION – $225,000
HELP BUILD YOUR NEW LIBRARY – HOW YOU CAN DONATE
You can mail donations to: Valatie Free Library Capital Campaign, 1036 Kinderhook Street, PO Box 336, Valatie, NY 12184. You can also drop off your donation at the library. Even a small donation can help! Most contributions are tax deductible as we are a registered non-profit. Your generous gift can make a difference. Naming opportunities are available for larger donations. Please join us in building toward a better tomorrow for Valatie!